Updated on 30-06-2020
Kapalbhatti-Pranayama is a very powerful and important breathing exercise that not only cures stomach disorders but also helps in losing belly fat. It is a good asana in yoga even for relaxing the mind and body. The technique required for kapalbhati Pranayama is strong exhalation and inhalation. Kapal means forehead , bhati means shining and Pranayama means breathing technique. It is also called as breath of fire and Kapalbhati pranayama means forehead shining breathing technique.
Though the technique appears simple it is very important to flush out the toxic air from our body. There are three forms of Kapalabhati
Vatakrama kapalabhati- In this exhalation is active and inhalation is passive.
Vyutkrama kapalabhati - It involves sniffing water through nostrils and allowing it to flow down to mouth and finally throwing the water out through mouth.
Sheetkrama kapalbhati.- In this water is taken from the mouth and thrown out through the nose.
Steps to do Kapalabatti-pranayama
- Sit straight with your back erect. Do not take any back support. Place your hands comfortably on the knees with palms facing the sky.
- Inhale or take a deep breath from both nostrils until the lungs are filled with air. Breathe slowly with steady intake of air.
- Now exhale with full pressure so that the stomach goes deep inside. Pull your stomach inside as much as possible for you. You should feel little pressure on your stomach when pulled inside.
- Repeat the same at least 10-20 times in a day.
- Relax after doing this asana
- 20 breaths completes one round of kapal bhati pranayama. Take rest after one round by relaxing and closing the eyes. You can do two more rounds later.
Benefits of kapalabatti-pranayama
- Helps in reducing belly fat. Also helps in getting good oxygenated blood throughout the body. It also strengthens abdominal muscles.
- Improves digestion and functions of liver, kidney and lungs
- Clears the nostrils. Also helps in uplifting of mind and control of mind.
- Helps in curing respiratory diseases like asthma, breathing problems.
- Helps in the function of pancreas, thereby helps in controlling diabetes.
- It helps to calm you and uplifts your mind.
- It is very good for students as it improves concentration and memory power.
- Regular practice will activate your mind and make your face glow.
- People suffering from high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, epilepsy should avoid doing this asana until consulted by a physician.
- Women during menstruation should avoid it as it involves high abdominal activity.
- pregnant women should avoid doing this asana.
- Keep in your mind the limitations of your body and work accordingly.
- If you have ulcers, be careful while doing this asana.
If you make any purchase via a link on this site, I may receive a small commission with no added cost to you.
As an Amazon Associate I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases. Other links on this site may lead to other companies that I am associated with